According to the United States Clean Heat & Power Association (USCHPA):
- US buildings consume at least 30-50% more energy than necessary to provide adequate indoor environmental quality (IEQ) which can be mitigated by using CHP.
- By capturing the waste heat, CHP can cut emissions by up to half when compared to separate applications.
- Power plants are responsible for:
- Two-thirds of the nation’s annual sulfur dioxide (SO2)
- One-quarter of the nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions
- One-third of the mercury (Hg) emissions
- One-third of the carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions
- According to the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), CHP systems could reduce greenhouse gas emissions by at least 25 million tons of carbon per year